Banana Waffles on the Fly

Waffles!

I’m usually a pancake kind of gal, but the other morning I was in the mood for some delicious waffles! I started out by following a recipe, but then quickly strayed and started adding all kinds of random ingredients. It turned out for the best: awesome grain-free, sugar-free banana waffles topped with butter and maple syrup!

I started with the recipe in the waffle maker handbook…but it almost immediately turned into this:

Banana Waffles on the Fly

3/4 Cup almond flour

3 Tbsp coconut flour

1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

1/2 tsp arrowroot

2 tsp baking powder

1 Tbsp coconut oil

1 Tbsp maple syrup

1 tsp cinnamon

1 mega-ripe banana

1 egg

3/4 cup So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk

The original ingredients.

I mixed all of the dry ingredients together,

and then decided to add a lump of cinnamon.

I found a spotty banana hanging out on top of the microwave, so I mashed it up,

and added the egg, coconut oil and maple syrup.  I’m definitely guilty of letting brown bananas go to waste– I only eat bananas when they’re a little green, or just barely yellow, so I usually neglect them when they start to turn brown.

Then, I added the wet ingredients to the dry,

and the poured in the milk and mixed!

I let the batter stand for a few minutes before pouring it onto the waffle iron.

Each waffle took about 5 minutes to cook.

We ate them with a side of apple and bacon.

The waffles were great! They were kind of fally-aparty, which is why I usually make pancakes…because I hate when waffles stick to the mold and fall apart. Fally-Apartyness aside, these tasted really great! I topped mine with butter and some maple syrup…I almost wanted to whip out the peanut butter and make a banana waffle, bacon and peanut butter sandwich a la Elvis…but I refrained.

I’m glad that I didn’t stick to the recipe! It’s always nice when your recipe creations workout for the best!

, , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to Banana Waffles on the Fly

1. lizzyinflorence January 24, 2011 at 2:28 PM #

This looks delicious — I have to try it! I envy you the bacon. I can’t really find American-style bacon where I live.

• AllieNic January 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM #

Thanks, Lizzy! Oh man! I can’t imagine living without American-style bacon! What kind of bacon do you have where you live?

2. lizzyinflorence January 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM #

Well, the closest in Italy would be pancetta, which isn’t really the same thing at all. Practically impossible as well to find pork products without nitrites. I survive, but I miss my bacon.

3. danielle January 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM #

i feel that we should all go away again for the weekend (like last year) and you cook breakfast (unlike last year’s gummie bear and grilled bacon breakfast!)…. these look fantastic.

• AllieNic January 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM #

HA! Gummy bears and bacon…that was the best! You made eggs though, did you not? YES we should do that again…and go skiing this time!

4. Emily Titterton January 25, 2011 at 7:17 PM #

Try pumpkin waffles sometime! They are so good. I recently made this recipe with wheat germ. I doubled it and threw the extras in the freezer. Homemade eggo waffles! http://www.oprah.com/food/Pumpkin-Waffles

Also have you ever baked with cocoa nibs? They look like nerds and they have the crunchy texture of chocolate covered espresso beans (in a good way). I found them in the bulk aisle. I baked some No Pudge brownies this weekend and threw a whole bunch in… they made the brownies delicious with their super dark chocolateyness.

• AllieNic January 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM #

You would make waffles from an Oprah website…HA!

I haven’t used cacao nibs ever! I want to though! Brownies sound really good right now…I was just thinking about No Pudge the other day and how I haven’t make them in years!

5. Amy February 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM #

Just fyi…your recipes says baking soda, but the picture shows baking powder. I am making these now and added soda before I realized that it probably takes powder. Hope they turn out!

• Allison February 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM #

Hi Amy! I’m sorry about that. They should be okay with baking soda. Honestly, I sometimes don’t know why I choose baking soda over baking powder– in this case, the original recipe called for baking powder, but I think they’ll be fine with baking soda. Let me know how they turn out! I’m sorry for any inconvenience…thanks for the feedback!