My first thought was “wow! What a great idea!” My second thought was “why have I not been reading Weightless before now?”
In her post 5 Body Image Quick Fixes, Margarita implores us to make 5 short lists about 5 positive aspects of ourselves in order to put body image in a bigger context.
I think that this exercise is such a wonderful idea that I’m going to share my lists with you over the next few weeks. Feel free to share your own lists in the comments, or you can email me at AllisonNichols.HC@gmail.com if you’re so inclined!
Five Things I Love About Myself
1. I love my strong legs. I have to say it. I do. I love them. I used to not love them because they didn’t fit into the jean size I wanted them to, but now they are a symbol of my strength and my beauty.
2. I love that I can still name at least 7 species of marine intertidal organisms by their scientific names. Littorina littorea, Nucella lapillus, Mytilus edulis, Cancer borealis, Cancer irroratus... you get the idea. I have a pretty good memory for strange scientific things. I’m also really good at Jeopardy.
3. I love that I can paint my nails and pluck my eyebrows like a pro. I love that I can do girlie things with skill. That I don’t have to go to a salon to get my nails and eyebrows done. Okay, so it might not look totally professional when I wake up with the imprint of my sheets imposed on my nails, but it’s good enough for me!
4. I love that I can be alone with my thoughts. I love that I can sit quietly and think and think and analyze and analyze without going insane. You may think I’m staring at you, but I’m really thinking about stuff. Lots of stuff.
5. I love that I never leave a task unfinished. Once I start something, I need to finish it. Whether it’s making a plan, cleaning my house, or making an apology. I’m unbelievably motivated to finish every task that I start. Including this list–the making of which took me longer than I’d care to admit. I guess that’s why I’m making it after all.
What are your 5 things?