Halloween is my favorite holiday! I like dressing up…and I like eating candy.
Chocolate candy to be exact.
This year I thought it would be fun to make my very own healthy Almond Joy Bars. I used unsweetened, shredded coconut, honey and dark chocolate: a truly amazing combination.
Are they pretty? No. Are they delicious? Heck yeah.
Healthy Almond Joy Bars
3 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut
6 egg whites
1/2 cup raw honey
dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until well combined and then fold in the coconut and honey (you’re basically making macaroons).
- Form the coconut dough into tiny logs and place three almonds on top. Or don’t: Almond Joy’s got nuts, Mounds don’t.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until firm and browned on the top.
- Allow the macaroons to cool and then top with melted chocolate. DONE.