Happy Halloween! Healthy Almond Joy Bars

Halloween is my favorite holiday! I like dressing up…and I like eating candy.

Chocolate candy to be exact.

This year I thought it would be fun to make my very own healthy Almond Joy Bars. I used unsweetened, shredded coconut, honey and dark chocolate: a truly amazing combination.

IMG_1944

Are they pretty? No. Are they delicious? Heck yeah.

Healthy Almond Joy Bars

3 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut

6 egg whites

1/2 cup raw honey

almonds

dark chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until well combined and then fold in the coconut and honey (you’re basically making macaroons).
  3. Form the coconut dough into tiny logs and place three almonds on top. Or don’t: Almond Joy’s got nuts, Mounds don’t.
  4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until firm and browned on the top.
  5. Allow the macaroons to cool and then top with melted chocolate. DONE.

I’m hiding these from those little trickertreaters! They’re all mine! MWAHAHHAHAHHAAAAA!

, , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Happy Halloween! Healthy Almond Joy Bars

1. bayley October 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM #

Please send 50 of these to China, stat. I will pay for shipping. They look incredible!

2. Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic November 1, 2011 at 10:42 AM #

Love these!! I only developed a taste for Almond Joy in my adulthood (silly girl) and I would be all over this healthier version!

• AllieNic November 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM #

I also didn’t like Almond Joy until I was a grown-up! I used to not like coconut at all (gasp!). These were really yummy…the dark chocolate was the perfect touch!

3. Emily November 10, 2011 at 3:36 PM #

I am going to make this. Immediately.

4. Dana Zia November 13, 2011 at 1:16 AM #

Wow, you had me at hello with these little gems!!! Hello baby! Halloween is my favorite holiday by far too. Thank you so much!

5. Alisa Driscoll December 11, 2011 at 2:28 PM #

I’ve always wondered why they made Mounds with dark chocolate but Almond Joy with milk chocolate. Sometimes you feel like a nut & dark chocolate! Thanks for sharing, these are wonderful! I’m about to make another batch now.

6. Nicole March 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM #

Can 3 eggs be used instead of 6 egg whites or another substitution?

• Allison March 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM #

Hi Nicole, I haven’t tried this recipe with whole eggs– I think it would work…but I”m not sure. Worth trying though! Let me know how it goes!

1. Very Berry Pie « Keep Going - November 5, 2012

[…] Paleo Almond Joy Bars, compliments of Frisky Lemon! […]

2. Planted Power | “Healthier” Almond Joys - May 31, 2013

[…] as a goodbye gift and I adapted this awesome recipe for a healthier version of Almond Joy Bars  – http://friskylemon.com/2011/10/31/happy-halloween-healthy-almond-joy-bars/.  It was super easy and […]