We ate some really delicious food over the Christmas holiday.
One of these delicious meals was meatloaf with shiitake mushroom sauce made by my step-mother. We ate around the coffee table, but the food was definitely better than gourmet restaurant quality.
M reeeeeally likes meatloaf, so I decided to attempt a Paleo re-creation.
Mini Meatloaves with Mushroom Gravy
2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, smashed
a pinch of paprika
salt and pepper
(ketchup stripe is optional: make sure to used non-HFCS ketchup!)
Mushroom gravy ingredients:
2 cups Portobello mushroom tops, sliced (about 4 mushrooms)
3 Tbsp coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup coconut milk
salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 F and grease a mini-meatloaf pan (mine makes 4 mini loaves), or two regular meatloaf pans
2. In a large bowl, squish together the beef, egg, almond meal, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika until well combined.
3. Divide the meat between the loaf pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a meat thermometer in the center reads 160 F
4. While the meat is cooking, heat the coconut oil in a large sauce pan.
5. Add the garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant and browned, about 2 minutes.
6. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes, then pour in the coconut milk and allow the sauce to reduce over medium heat.
7. Top your meatloaf with mushrooms and dig in!
Although it was nothing like the meatloaf my stepmother made, it was definitely a successful attempt!
What restaurant or family recipes have you recreated? Were the re-creations as delicious as the originals?