Cinnamon Sunbutter

A lot of almond butter goes through our household.

We eat almond butter on apples:

We eat almond butter on carrots:

Sometimes we get sick of almond butter.

When our almond butter jar is empty, we usually grind our own via the grinder at Whole Foods, but this time I decided to go a different route.

The Sunbutter Route.

With some cinnamon for non-sweet natural sweetness.

Cinnamon Sunbutter

2 cups sunflower seeds (I used roasted and unsalted)

1 tsp cinnamon

2 Tbsp melted coconut oil

Dump your sunflower seeds into the food processor.

and process until finely ground and a little bit sticky.

Add your cinnamon and 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil,

and continue to process until creamy, like almond or peanut butter.

I store mine in a jar in the fridge.

You can  put it on all kinds of things: carrots, apples, celery sticks, NicGriddle…

What’s your favorite peanut butter substitute? Have you ever made nut butter before?

, , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Cinnamon Sunbutter

1. Motyok January 19, 2012 at 10:36 PM #

I do make my own nutbutters; I usually use half raw sunflower seeds and half roasted, but I have never tried sunbutter with cinnamon. I will give this a try tonight, I think. Thanks for the idea.

• AllieNic January 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM #

You’re welcome! Let me know how it turns out. If I weren’t in the middle of a whole food cleanse (no added sugars for a few days) I might have added a little honey or maple syrup, but it tastes just fine without it too!

• Motyok January 20, 2012 at 2:56 PM #

I added just a few drops of stevia and it tastes great.

• AllieNic January 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM #

Awesome!

2. Andrea@simplylivinghealthy.org January 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM #

I love making my own nut butters…almost seems silly to purchase them anymore when I can make them to my liking! Have you tried the Pecan Pie Butter from Health Bent? It is super-tasty…my only complaint was it was too salty the first time I made it so if you try it I’d cut the salt in half…
    The Justin’s Cinnamon Peanut Butter used to be my favorite…I don’t eat PB anymore and they discontinued it anyways…this will be a nice substitution!!!

• AllieNic January 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM #

YUM! I’ve always wanted to make pecan butter…I also really like the nut butters from Ashely at Edible Perspective–she’s really creative with her spices and combinations. Almond coconut butter could be one of my all time favs! Thanks for sharing, Andrea!

3. Robyn May 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM #

Sounds really great! Can us use coconut oil as well?

• Allison May 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM #

Thanks, Robyn! Sure, you can use coconut oil if you’d like it a little smoother. Coconut oil would add some other really healthy fats!

4. melissa May 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM #

This looks great! Just one question- Can you make this with coconut oil or do you need coconut butter?

• Allison May 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM #

Hi Melissa, Yes! You can make it with coconut oil. Coconut butter makes it a little thicker, but the coconut oil makes it nice and smooth and drippy like almond butter.

I’ve actually changed the ingredients– coconut oil makes a better sunbutter, so replaced the coconut butter with coconut oil.