In a past life, I was a muffin eating barista.
I worked at a cafe in the South End of Boston, drinking 10 cups of coffee a day (with skim milk and 3 Splenda), and eating muffins and scones to my heart’s content.
Although I don’t do skim milk, Splenda or flour anymore, I still love muffins…maybe a little too much.
One of my favorite muffins are those of the Morning Glory variety. Carrots, apples and raisins in one baked good can’t be wrong.
Morning Glory Muffins (grain-free, sugar-free)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup butter (or coconut oil)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded
1 apple, diced
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup orange juice
Optional: 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a muffin tin with muffin papers.
- Shred your carrots (I used 2 large carrots and it came out to be about 1 1/2 cups), and dice your apple.
- In a large bowl mix together the butter, eggs, vanilla and orange juice (all wet ingredients).
- In a small bowl, mix the coconut flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, making sure to stir.
- Once the dry and wet ingredients are combined, mix in the apple, coconut, carrot, raisin and walnuts.
- Mix and scoop batter into the muffin pan– this recipe will make 12 large muffins.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until browned. Cool on a wire rack and then eat ’em up!
All I have to say is “this one’s a keeper!” I have some special friends visiting from Texas this weekend and I plan on making these for them! Get excited, ETown!
What’s your favorite muffin? Have you grain-free-i-fied it?