Coconut Flour Morning Glory Muffins

IMG_2758_1

In a past life, I was a muffin eating barista.

I worked at a cafe in the South End of Boston, drinking 10 cups of coffee a day (with skim milk and 3 Splenda), and eating muffins and scones to my heart’s content.

Although I don’t do skim milk, Splenda or flour anymore, I still love muffins…maybe a little too much.

One of my favorite muffins are those of the Morning Glory variety. Carrots, apples and raisins in one baked good can’t be wrong.

So I devised a recipe and scribbled my thoughts onto a Post It Note.

Morning Glory Muffins (grain-free, sugar-free)

1/2 cup coconut flour

6 eggs

1/2 cup butter (or coconut oil)

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 Tbsp vanilla

2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ginger

1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded

1 apple, diced

1/2 cup raisins

1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut

1/2 cup orange juice

Optional: 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped.

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a muffin tin with muffin papers.
  2. Shred your carrots (I used 2 large carrots and it came out to be about 1 1/2 cups), and dice your apple.
  3. In a large bowl mix together the butter, eggs, vanilla and orange juice (all wet ingredients).
  4. In a small bowl, mix the coconut flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
  5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, making sure to stir.
  6. Once the dry and wet ingredients are combined, mix in the apple, coconut, carrot, raisin and walnuts.
  7. Mix and scoop batter into the muffin pan– this recipe will make 12 large muffins.
  8. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until browned. Cool on a wire rack and then eat ’em up!

All I have to say is “this one’s a keeper!” I have some special friends visiting from Texas this weekend and I plan on making these for them! Get excited, ETown!

What’s your favorite muffin? Have you grain-free-i-fied it?

, , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to Coconut Flour Morning Glory Muffins

1. Melissa February 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM #

I love your banana and pumpkin muffin recipes and I can’t wait to try this one!! They look great in the picture!

• Allison February 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM #

Thanks, Melissa! This might be my favorite muffin recipe yet! Let me know how they turn out.

2. Mary March 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM #

I finally tried these today and they are the bomb diggity!!! This is the first muffin my hubby and I are totally head over heels in love with. Great job Allison….thanks!!!

• Allison March 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM #

Thanks so much, Mary! I glad you both like them!

3. Emily April 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM #

I can attest to their deliciousness. I am making a batch this weekend! I will let you know how my adventure into gluten-free baking goes!

• Allison April 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM #

Thanks, Emily! How’d they turn out?

4. Sara July 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM #

They are in the oven:) I used coconut oil ,egg whites and fresh orange juice from my produce bin. Excited to try them:) Thanks for the recipe with coconut flour!!

• Allison July 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM #

You’re welcome, Sara! Let me know how they turn out!

5. staci July 21, 2012 at 12:09 AM #

Cold eggs + room temp coconut oil = hard coconut oil that doesn’t mix. I’m going to have to try a different order next time, or let eggs come to room temp. :/

• Allison July 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM #

Ugh, I’m sorry Staci! Yes, bringing the eggs to room temp is a good idea. I think I may have softened my coconut oil before I added it, so that it would mix in– if you heat the jar in a saucepan with some water, it usually does the trick.

6. Mspickle610 December 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM #

These are fabulous! I’m always looking for new paleo muffin recipes to send as snacks for my kids at school and these definitely make it into the rotation.

• Allison December 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM #

That’s great! Let me know how they turn out…I hope your kids like them!

7. Luthie!! March 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM #

butter, dates, golden raisins, coconut flour and pineapple juice (with all the other ingredients). I’m new to paleo, and they are in the oven. they smell great

8. Inna March 22, 2013 at 9:07 PM #

Made these muffins today. They are da-bomb. So light and moist!

9. Kris S. March 31, 2013 at 5:09 PM #

Made these just now. They look and smell great. However, I had some issues with liquid bubbling up out of the muffin pan and was wondering if anyone else had an issue like that? The only variation from the recipe is that I used whole wheat flour and five eggs instead of six. Hoping they still taste OK!

• Allison March 31, 2013 at 5:15 PM #

Hi Kris! How much wheat flour did you use? The recipe is designed to use coconut flour which is more fibrous than regular wheat flour– when I’m modifying a recipe, I usually used 1/4 cup of coconut flour to every 1 cup of regular wheat flour because the coconut flour soaks up a lot more moisture. It’s possible that the batter was too liquidy with wheat flour.

• Kris S. March 31, 2013 at 5:26 PM #

That makes total sense, Allison. Thanks for the reply, and next time I’ll either use coconut flour or modify the amount of wheat flour. They still look pretty darn good, though! 🙂 Excited to have found your blog.

10. Rhonda April 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM #

I made them this morning. They were good, but my family wants me to add honey next time.

11. Dorothy April 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM #

What would ou suggest to use instead of the OJ? Can’t stand the stuff 🙂 they look awesome though- can’t wait to try them. I love muffins and I haven’t found an amazing paleo one yet.

• Allison April 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM #

Hmm…I bet pineapple juice would work! Or apple juice… Let me know how they turn out!

12. Joanne - The Real Food Mama April 12, 2013 at 7:06 AM #

Oh these sound great!! My kids would love these!! Thank you!

13. Jules September 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM #

Hi Allison, This recipe looks absolutely wonderful. Is there any chance to replace the eggs…I know that I am reaching asking this question, but we have gluten, dairy, egg and almond sensativities in my home. Thank you.

• Allison September 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM #

Hi Jules! Thanks for asking– I’m not sure what would happen if you replaced the eggs, but you could definitely experiment. I would add something like a banana or two to take the place of the eggs– usually it’s one banana per two eggs. I think that bananas would work and add a nice flavor to the muffins…let me know what you decide to try!

• Stacy November 4, 2015 at 6:12 PM #

Hi Jules…I am curious. What did you replace the eggs with and how did it turn out? Thanks

14. KatLov April 25, 2015 at 8:18 AM #

Looks yummy. I have the tree nut allergy thing going, so recipes using coconut flour are for me!

15. Holly June 6, 2015 at 12:46 PM #

When do you mix in shredded coconut? It’s on the ingredients list but not the recipe.

• Allison June 7, 2015 at 9:04 AM #

Hi Holly, You can mix the coconut in when you mix in the raisins, apples and carrots!

16. Yvonne December 7, 2016 at 9:21 AM #

Would you give the carb, fat, calorie info whenever possible? Thanks! Great recipe by the way. Just made them for the first time and added a Tbsp. of molasses and only 4 eggs. I’m not sure you can screw up this recipe too badly. Lots of room for experimentation.

1. Hipster Muffin & that time I Googled what time it was « LouLoves… - March 12, 2012

[…] delight” context. Bad counselors. We used the earmuff tactic on campers a lot. So I found this recipe via http://www.dessertstalker.com or as MummaD calls it “Desert Stalker” (really Ma? […]

2. Gaps/Paleo Recipes | Keely's Allergy Free Kitchen - January 20, 2014

[…] Pumpkin Pie Muffins Lemon Rosemary Coconut Flour Muffins  Used coconut oil instead of olive oil. Coconut Flour Morning Glory Muffins  We have to leave out the raisins and apples for now. The Breakfast Hot Pot Butternut Squash Hash […]

3. Day 3 Detox | naturaldivasblog - October 20, 2014

[…] Oh, here is a recipe for gluten sugar free muffins that I made too… http://friskylemon.com/2012/02/14/coconut-flour-morning-glory-muffins/ […]