Banana Coconut Chocolate Pecan Muffins

BCCPM

Every Sunday, M and I make brunchfeast.

Brunchfeast = an elaborate meal incorporating both breakfeast and lunchfeast foods.

M makes the bacon.

I bake the grain-free goodie.

This past Sunday, I was going to make banana bread. My plans quickly evaporated when I realized I didn’t have most of the ingredients I needed.

So I decided to make my banana muffins.

But then, because I am incapable of making the same recipe twice for some reason, I made these:

Banana Coconut Chocolate Pecan Muffins (BCCPM for short)

3 spotty bananas

2 eggs

1/2 tsp vanilla

4 Tbsp butter

1 cup almond flour

1 Tbsp coconut flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp sea salt

1 Tbsp cinnamon

2/3 cup dark chocolate chips

2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

1/3 pecans, chopped

The bananas were spotted and perfect.

I’m going to break this down into four steps for you:

1. Mash the bananas with a fork and whisk together the mashed banana, eggs, vanilla and butter in a large bowl.
  2. Add the dry ingredients and mix ins to the large bowl and fold until well combined.
  3. Using a 1/3 cup, scoop the batter into a muffin tin lined with papers.
  4. Bake at 350 F for 18 to 20 minutes.

The batter was beautiful.

This recipe made 8 good-sized muffins.

While the muffins were baking, Chester made eggs and bacon.

Actually, he lurked in the shadows while M made eggs and bacon…

When the muffins were done, we sat down to chow.

Eggs scrambled in bacon grease, bacon, greens and raw kraut.

Of course I had coffee with coconut milk. The mug is from my past life as a cardiologist. Okay, you’re right: I wasn’t a cardiologist. I was an admin in the cardiology department. Glad I got that off my chest.

I ate these tulips too. They were delicious.

But seriously, the muffins were awesome. I liked them better than my original banana walnut chocolate chip muffins… for real.

Banana Coconut Chocolate Pecan Muffins

• 4 Tbsp butter
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 1 Tbsp coconut flour
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon
  • ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips
  • ⅔ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • ⅓ pecans, chopped
Instructions
  3. Using a ⅓ cup, scoop the batter into a muffin tin lined with papers.
  4. Bake at 350 F for 18 to 20 minutes.

What are your favorite brunchfeast foods? Do you have a weekend food tradition?

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Banana Coconut Chocolate Pecan Muffins

1. bayley March 13, 2012 at 5:07 AM #

This made me laugh so much. Also, I’m making your coconut cake for Owen’s first birthday in 2 weeks! What kind of frosting do you think: cream cheese, chocolate, or chocolate cream cheese? Wait, I think I just answered my own question. Thanks for the goodies.

• Allison March 13, 2012 at 9:10 AM #

Yay!! Hmm…I think dark chocolate frosting would be tasty! I made them a few weeks ago with dark chocolate chips and they were SO good! Chocolate cream cheese would be good too…anything chocolate!

M and I have some goodies to send to Owen…I can’t believe he’s almost 1!!

2. Jen April 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM #

Thanks for the recipe! Made these tonight, delish

3. Kelly Smith January 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM #

Wondering if I could use flax or chia egg replacer in these… What do you think??

• Allison January 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM #

Hi Kelly! I bet you could use a flax or chia egg– OR you could add another banana–I think the vegan egg would work with all of the bananas in the recipe (as they kind of act like eggs as well). I’d love to hear how it turns out!

4. crystal June 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM #

how often should one intake almond flour ? i mean i hear since its good to get more omega 3 then omega 6 so just wondering how often one can use the almond flour for recipes etc?

• Allison June 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM #

Hi Crystal,

I like to think of almond flour baked goods as sometimes sweet treats. I make them once or twice a month and focus on getting whole foods the rest of the time.

I posted about this on facebook a while back:

when I use almond flour, it’s to make sweet treats that I only eat every once a while. I probably make almond flour baked goods once every two weeks or so. I think of them as a sweet treat and because I don’t eat them very often, I don’t worry about the calories, or phytic acid or any other downsides.

You run into problems when you’re making and eating almond flour baked goods on a regular basis. In that case, using coconut flour is definitely a better option…BUT the best option is to eat more whole foods like fruits and veggies in the place of the Paleo baked goods.

If you’re only making almond flour baked goods every once and a while, you have nothing to worry about.

If you’re making them all the time, you might want to reevaluate your relationship with the baked goods and think about finding sweetness in whole foods instead.

• crystal June 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM #

hi thanks! i rarely use the almond flour always heard it wasn’t “good” for us.. ive been using coconut flour when i do bake a few treats and goodies which isn’t to often, but cool good to know about the almond flour – the coconut flour is good but tends to dry out and not make the treat as moist do you agree?

• Allison June 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM #

Yes! I definitely agree– I usually use no more than 1/4 cup of coconut flour in any recipe that I’m making…1/4 cup coconut flour usually equals 1 cup of almond flour in my experience šŸ˜‰

1. Friday Happy Hour #73 - Oh Lardy! - January 31, 2014

[…] Looking for a Paleo, grain-free, refined sugar- free, guilt free muffin? Look no further.Ā  Try theseĀ Coconut Chocolate Pecan Muffins! […]

2. 16 Creative and Delicious Banana Recipes | The Nourished Life - October 14, 2014

[…] 11. Banana Coconut Chocolate Pecan Muffins […]