{Blueberry Coconut Smoothie} Summer in a Jar

Blueberry Coconut Smoothie: Summer in a jar. #paleo #vegan @friskylemon

Happy Memorial Day!

It’s been a warm, sunny weekend here in Boston and you know what that means: I’m in the mood for smoothies!

This little ditty is my new favorite.

It combines the antioxidant power of blueberries with the green-i-ness of spinach and the healthy fats of coconut butter.

Yes, I do let my dog smell my food before I eat it. He has to check if it’s poison or not, right?

Blueberry Coconut Smoothie!

1 cup light coconut milk from a can

1 cup frozen wild blueberries

1/2 frozen banana

2 Tbsp coconut butter

2 cups raw spinach

a dash of cinnamon

Directions:

B.L.E.N.D.

I love blue food.

I paired this smoothie with some roasted chicken to round out my meal.

Blueberry Coconut Smoothie

Summer in a jar.
Author:
Recipe type: Smoothie
Ingredients
  • 1 cup light coconut milk from a can (or your favorite non-dairy, non-soy milk)
  • 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
  • ½ frozen banana
  • 2 Tbsp coconut butter
  • 2 cups raw spinach
  • a dash of cinnamon
Instructions
  1. Blend!

What delicious treats are you enjoying this Memorial Day?

, , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to {Blueberry Coconut Smoothie} Summer in a Jar

1. Jillian May 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM #

That’s almost the exact smoothie we had for breakfast!
    I think I’ll add cinnamon tomorrow:)
    Yum!

• Allison May 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM #

Cinnamon would be a great addition!

2. Emily May 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM #

fresh ginger is also phenomenal in a smoothie!

• Allison May 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM #

YUM! That sounds great– a blueberry ginger smoothie! Good for the tummy…

3. Veronica May 31, 2012 at 2:09 AM #

You don’t put calorie counts or nutrition info on any of your recipes????

• Allison May 31, 2012 at 9:19 AM #

Hi Veronica! No, I don’t usually put the calorie count of my recipes up, because I don’t usually count the calories of my recipes. I’m a big believer in putting together high quality ingredients that agree with my body and listening to my internal hunger cues as opposed to counting calories.

Yes, some of the food I make is higher in calories than some other blogs out there because I use lots of healthy fats. But healthy fats are a very important part of feeling satisfied with your meals. This smoothie, for example, has 2Tbsp of coconut butter, which add substance and lots of flavor and will leave you fuller longer than a smoothie made with just fruits or veggies.

I’d be happy to chat more with you about this via email, and to give you more info on any of the recipes if you like! Thanks so much for your question!

4. Sara Gordon February 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM #

Really? So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage? That is a highly processed food. Look at the ingredients and specifically the carrageenan.

• Allison February 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM #

Hi Sara! Thanks for commenting– you’re totally right: So Delicious coconut milk beverage is a processed food. I consider it a “sometimes treat” for when I want some iced coffee in the summer or a smoothie–My body doesn’t tolerate regular milk, and drinking a small amount of So Delicious is fine for me. I don’t drink it everyday– I put it in the same category as an almond flour baked good: this food won’t make me “healthier,” but for the infrequent times that I use it, I’m not going to stress about it.