Blueberry Crumble

IMG_3414

Blueberries are my favorite berry.

I’m sure I’ve written this before, but the summer after college, my best friend and I would go blueberry picking at a farm right near her house a few times a week. We’d each pick about 5 pounds of blueberries and eat them all over the course of the next day or so.

There were times I found myself sitting on the floor in  front of the fridge, eating handfuls of blueberries straight out of the bag. It could have been worse– it could have been cookie dough.

Given my love for blueberries, I’m generally all over a blueberry sale. So when I saw that the organic blueberries were discounted at my local health food store, I grabbed a couple to bake into a crumble.

Blueberry Crumble

Filling ingredients:

2 pints minus one handful of blueberries

1 Tbsp raw honey

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1 Tbsp arrowroot

3 Tbsp lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)

Crumble ingredients:

1 cup almond flour

1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

1/2 cup sliced almonds

5 Medjool dates

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup coconut oil

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
  2. First, wash blueberries and extract a handful of blueberries from one of the pints. Shove this handful into pie hole. Add the remaining blueberries, lemon juice, honey arrowroot and ginger to a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir gently until the blueberries are covered.
  3. Pour the blueberry mix into a glass baking dish– I used a pie pan and it worked wonderfully.
  4. Pit and chop the dates into small pieces.
  5. Combine all of the dry ingredients to another bowl– the almond flour, coconut flakes, sliced almonds, cinnamon and dates. Stir in the coconut oil–I like to soften it just a little before adding to give it that “crumble” texture.
  6. Pour the crumble evenly over the blueberries and pop in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes– until the top is browned and the blueberries are bubbling.
  7. Cool for 15 minutes to let the blueberries congeal a bit, and then serve!

The would be wonderful with some coconut milk ice cream…

I think I’ll make this for the 4th of July…hopefully with some freshly picked blueberries!

Blueberry Crumble

Author:
Ingredients
  • Filling ingredients:
  • 2 pints minus one handful of blueberries
  • 1 Tbsp raw honey
  • ¼ tsp ground ginger
  • 1 Tbsp arrowroot
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
  • Crumble ingredients:
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • ½ cup sliced almonds
  • 5 Medjool dates
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ cup coconut oil
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
  3. Pour the blueberry mix into a glass baking dish-- I used a pie pan and it worked wonderfully.
  4. Pit and chop the dates into small pieces.
  5. Combine all of the dry ingredients to another bowl-- the almond flour, coconut flakes, sliced almonds, cinnamon and dates. Stir in the coconut oil--I like to soften it just a little before adding to give it that "crumble" texture.
  6. Pour the crumble evenly over the blueberries and pop in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes-- until the top is browned and the blueberries are bubbling.
  7. Cool for 15 minutes to let the blueberries congeal a bit, and then serve!

What is your favorite berry? Have you made it into a crumble yet?

, , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Blueberry Crumble

1. Jillian mckee June 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM #

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?

Jillian

2. Veronica June 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM #

Someone help me. When ever I use Almond Flour or Coconut flour, the end results is DRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Thanks..

• Allison June 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM #

Hmm…when you use almond flour or coconut flour are you baking recipes that are written for those flours? Or are you substituting for wheat flour?

I find that I can usually do a 1:1 substitution of almond flour to wheat flour, but it’s more like 1/4 cup of coconut flour for every cup of regular flour.

If I’m attempting to substitute coconut flour for regular flour, I usually sift it, and add it 1/4 of a cup at a time until the batter looks like it’s traditional counter part (ie, more for cookies, less for cake).

If this recipe looks dry or extra crumbly, I would add some more coconut oil until it looks like it’s a good consistency.

The Urban Poser has a really good guide for baking with almond flour: http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2012/05/baking-101-almond-flour-basics.html

• Veronica June 13, 2012 at 8:25 AM #

Thank you Allison, for answering my question. I was not substituting. But, this is valuable info when I do. I just started the Paleo diet. Well, 1 month now. I am amazed what a difference on my stomach. I’m 63 and run 2-3 miles a day ..an active 63..lol
        So, I am looking for ways to cook and bake Paleo.

I love your recipes so far. However, like I said dry. But, I think adding more coconut oil might be the trick. Thanks for sharing.

• Allison June 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM #

Thanks, Veronica! Keep up the good work and let me know if there’s anything I can do to support you!

3. Mary July 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM #

I just made this tonight, although I used dried pitted plums instead of dates (because I had them, and could not find any dates around here). I felt like the “crumble” portion was missing something for my own personal taste – a tiny itty bitty bit of salt, although I’m not sure how much would be enough. In the end, I smushed (is that a word?) all the “crumble” down into the blueberries after I tried my first serving, and sprinkled a tiny, tiny amount of salt over it. Tastes great 🙂 Thank you so much for this!

• Allison July 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM #

You’re welcome, Mary! Salt would be a good addition to this recipe…I think I’d start with 1/4 tsp and go from there. I’m a huge fan or the sweet/salty dessert combination. I’m so glad that you liked this recipe!

4. KGatto August 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM #

Hi!
    Just wondering about coconut oil and coconut milk! I continue to see so many healthy blogs with it but I was just wondering about the issues with the fat, being that its high fat content is not a majority of monounsaturated but rather saturated fat. Should one avoid coconut when trying to lose weight?
    Thanks!

• Allison August 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM #

Hi K! Eating coconut oil and coconut products is great for weight loss. Research is emerging that shows that fat is actually your body’s preferred source of fuel– we run better on fat as fuel than on glucose (sugar). One of the goals of living within this Paleo framework is to transition over to being a fat burner rather than a sugar burner– being fat adapted. To do this, we increase the amount of healthy fats– like avocado, coconut oil, olives and ghee. When you’re getting all of your carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits (avoiding grains and legumes) dietary fat will eventually become your main source of energy– people on higher fat diets usually feel more satisfied, and thus eat less over all.

Here are some great resource so that you can read more about the importance of fats in your diet:

Let me know if you have any other questions!

5. Nancy December 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM #

In step 2, I don’t understand what “Shove this handful into pie hole” means. Can you please explain that step?

• Nancy December 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM #

Oh Duh! Lack of sleep! I don’t believe that I didn’t “get it” at first! ha ha ha

• Allison December 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM #

Hi Nancy! Ha! Okay. I do that all the time… hope you enjoy the recipe!

6. Suzanne Holt September 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM #

That looks sooo good! Anything with blueberries is amazing. I’m always trying new healthy desserts for my family and I’ll have to try this next.

7. Atlanta Kane June 20, 2015 at 1:56 PM #

How many people did you serve with it? It seems you to divide it by 8 to keep it from being devastating.

• Allison June 25, 2015 at 10:04 AM #

Hi Atlanta! Sorry for the late reply! I think we ended up with 8 to 10 servings. I find grain-free desserts really rich and satisfying, so I naturally end up eating smaller portions.

1. day 134: sweets, sleep, and freedom « dawn points - July 4, 2013

[…] Today was a lazy hazy day, in which we went to a party and hung out with super-cool moms and dads and kids and ate delicious food. Said delicious food included probably six servings of home-made Frisky Lemon Blueberry Cobbler […]