Yesterday I discovered that I actually like rhubarb.
For years I had convinced myself that I didn’t like rhubarb and thus strawberry rhubarb pie.
While up in Vermont for the BePeace course, I stayed with my mom who happens to live down the dirt road from a berry farm. She surprised M and me with freshly picked strawberries upon our arrival.
She also had some rhubarb, which, at the time, I was not thrilled about.
However, she sent me home with some and I figured I’d try to make pie…I hate to waste food, after all.
While cutting the rhubarb, I thought “what does this stuff taste like anyway?” and tried some.
It was love at first bite.
Open faced Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
3 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
1 cup rhubarb, chopped
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp arrowroot
1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and prepare the pie crust according to these instructions.
- Once your crust is done, turn the oven up to 350 F and get cracking on the filling.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the chopped strawberries, chopped rhubarb, maple syrup, lemon juice and arrowroot. Mix until well coated.
- Pour the filling into the crust and spread out evenly. Cover with foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes–until the filling is soft and a little congealed.
- Cool your pie on a wire rack.
- Eat with some fresh whipped cream or coconut milk ice cream!
This pie crust recipe was better than others I’ve used– the crust wasn’t crumbly or hard to press into the pan. Although the pie ended up being a little crumbly. I think it was the filling and maybe the fact that I didn’t make the crust thin enough or bake it long enough?
Have you ever made a Paleo Pie? What kind of crust did you use?