Lose weight quickly with these easy tricks!
Drop 7 pounds in 7 days with these diet fixes!
If you ever had a subscription to a women’s fitness type magazine, I’m sure these phrases sound familiar.
I used to get a few fitness centered magazines (that will remain nameless) and after a while, every issue has the same “easy” weight loss tips with a different spin.
So if they keep giving us the same information over and over, it must be useful, right?
Nope. Well, some might be, but for the most part, it’s the same stupid tips over and over.
It’s time to separate the real weight loss tips from the malarkey.
Let’s start with the malarkey. Here are a few tips you might have heard before:
Eat less meat or Stop being a carnivore because meat will eventually kill you. This goes back to Dr. Ancel Keys’ Diet-Heart Hypothesis that eating meat, and thus, saturated fat, will cause heart disease. We’ve come a long way in our nutrition research, but you’d be surprised how often animal fat is still demonized.
Increase your cardio or Just burn more calories on the elliptical than you eat and you’ll be fine. You can’t out exercise a crappy diet. What you eat accounts for 80% of your health equation, said someone smarter than me.
“People who regularly weigh themselves and keep track of their progress in a journal are more likely to lose weight.” Taken directly from Dr. Oz’s Top 100 weight loss tips. I am SO against using the scale to quantify yourself. There are better ways to gauge your progress including your energy levels and how your clothes fit.
“Sugarless chewing gum can suppress your appetite in a pinch.”. Another Dr. Oz gem. Um…isn’t your appetite your body’s way of telling you it need some kind of fuel? Let’s just ignore our bodies are telling us. That always sounds like a good idea.
Those are just a few of the “weight loss tips” that make me want to claw my eyes out when I stumble upon them. Sorry if I sound catty—these tips make me feel catty.
That being said, I’ve tried all of these things before.
ALL of them.
- I was a vegetarian for four years .
- I used to throw a tantrum if I couldn’t do my hour-long elliptical workout everyday.
- I weighed myself obsessively.
- I chewed two packs of Orbit Sweetmint per day. Three pieces at a time. True story.
There’s so many weight loss tips out there that it’s hard to know what’s real and what’s malarkey. When you’re desperate to lose weight, it’s easy to get confused by all of the information.
Now for the Real Weight Loss Tips. Ready?
Tip #1 There are no real weight loss tips.
HA! I SO got you!
Weight loss tips feed your diet mentality and when you’re focused on weight loss for the sake of weight loss, it’s much harder to actually lose weight.
Okay, so maybe there is ONE real weight loss tip.
Shift your focus to your health instead of your weight.
Weight loss will come as an effortless byproduct of working toward better health.
In the words of Lauren of Empowered Sustenance:
“You don’t lose weight to get healthy, you get healthy to lose weight.”
So how do you honestly shift your focus from weight to health?
- Get back to your human roots. Back to eating nutrient dense, whole foods and to making sure you’re completely nourished. Eating animal proteins, vegetables, fruit and healthy fats.
- Practice Gratitude for your healthy body. Cherish the body you have right now, as opposed to the body you wish you had. Practice gratitude for all of the things your body allows you to do right now.
- Find a goal that effortlessly drives you. Remember when you were in high school and you wanted those purple Doc Martens? You worked extra hours and saved your money to get them, and it didn’t feel like effort, because you REALLY wanted them? Find a health goal like that.
- Be patient and forgiving. The process of shifting your focus can take time. Don’t beat yourself up if you find yourself slipping back into your weight focus—just take a deep breath and remind yourself that you’re doing the best possible thing for yourself by focusing on your health.