My Superfood Nourishment Routine

When you’re first transitioning to a Paleo Lifestyle, the amount of nutrient dense foods thrown at you can be a little overwhelming.

Eat raw sauerkraut!

Don’t forget your fermented cod liver oil!

Never leave the house without your sardines and liverwurst!

Okay…maybe it was just overwhelming for me.

When I first started eating a whole food diet, I stuck with pretty basic foods: veggies, meat and fruit.

It wasn’t until I got the basics under my belt that I started incorporating some superfoods into my routine.  Honestly, the thought of getting all of my vitamins and minerals from food had me dumbfounded.

I had no idea how I would get all the nutrition I needed if I wasn’t taking a multivitamin.

Slowly, but surely I started incorporating more and more ancestral superfoods into my day, and now I’ve got a schedule that works for me.

So, I thought I’d share my Superfood Nourishment Routine with you so you can see how I do.

IMG_4598_1 In the mornings, I slide out of bed and fix my coffee with coconut oil and grass-fed butter.

IMG_4600_1

I also take a 1/2 tsp of Fermented Code Liver Oil/Butter Oil Blend from Green Pasture. Call me crazy, but I actually  like the taste of it…so I just scoop a little into my mouth and swallow it down. photo

When I’m hungry for breakfast, I’ll fix some eggs, and throw them over greens with some raw sauerkraut on the side. (My sauerkraut is Bubbie’s brand– still working out the kinks in my own fermentation process.) IMG_3479_1

Recently in the afternoons, I’ve been snacking on chicken liver pate with either some plantain chips or sliced veggies. photo(1)

I usually also have some kombucha in the afternoon. Either my own brew… IMG_3276_1 …or, if I’m feeling like a big spender, some GT brand.

574918_461444800555152_586956734_n

I might also have a cube or two of herbal tea Jello as a snack in the afternoon.

IMG_3878_1

After dinner I also sometimes eat a coconut oil chocolate. I tell myself it’s because of the MCT (medium chain triglycerides), but it’s really because it’s chocolate. IMG_4246_1

Then after dinner, when I’m looking for something warm in my belly, I’ll have a cup of broth.

It might seem like I’m jam-packing my day with weird, nutrient dense foods, but it doesn’t feel that way to me.

The description above is typical of when I have all my ish together– I’ve taken time to prepare everything (broth, pate, jello, kombucha). 30% of the time, I will have been too lazy to prepare one or more of these things…in which case, I’ll either buy it or go without.

You can see there are some foods that I still haven’t worked in there. The next foods on my list? Brewer’s yeast for some chromium, oily fishes for omega 3 fatty acids and a wider variety of offal.

My Nourishment Routine is a work in progress.

Do you eat ancestral superfoods on a daily basis? What tips and tricks do you have for packing your day with nutrients?

, , , , ,

17 Responses to My Superfood Nourishment Routine

1. Holly January 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM #

You are doing such a great job! I find with Brewer’s Yeast, it’s super easy (ie undetectable taste-wise) to sprinkle it into all my ground meat and on my veggies that I roast. It is awesome and I feel so smug when I remember to do it 😉

• Allison January 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM #

Thanks, Holly! I just started swigging some with water and adding it to my nightly broth… Sprinkling in meats is a great ideas,

2. Lauren January 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM #

Sounds like a delicious, nutrient-dense day! Living Social just had a Kombucha intro brewing kit that I just ordered because I’m sick of spending $$ on GTs. I just found your blog via CaveGirlEats – happy to find a fellow, native Vermonter.

• Allison January 26, 2013 at 4:27 PM #

Yay Vermont! You’re going to love brewing your own kombucha– it’s so nice to have a million bottles of delicious buch in the fridge without having spend a million dollars 😉

3. Heather January 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM #

I found your site through Cave Girl Eats too, actually a FB post! I assume you vary your lunch and dinners. What is pretty typical for you regarding those 2 meals and do you find you eat differently on the weekends then during the week?

• Allison January 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM #

Hi Heather! Thanks for stopping by! I definitely eat differently on the weekend days than the week day. It’s usually a timing thing- on the weekends, I eat much later than I do during the week, and I usually have a bigger meal in the evening than I do during the week. During the week, I typically eat two big meals and a post workout meal. Lunch is usually eggs and some kind of meat (like leftovers or bacon), and dinner could be any meat and veggie combo. Hope this answers your question! If not, let me know

• Heather January 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM #

It does! 🙂 I find I eat at odd times during the weekend. During the week everything is timed, can almost set a watch with my schedule! Thanks! BTW, I just tried coconut oil in my coffee this morning and definitely awesome!

4. Nanette January 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM #

I’m not a follower of the paleo diet but curious and interested, do you have to incorporate sauerkraut into your diet or can it be any cabbage dish and are you allowed to use vinegars?

• Allison January 28, 2013 at 4:20 PM #

Hi Nanette! You don’t have to incorporate raw sauerkraut into your diet, but raw sauerkraut is a great source of probiotics (good gut bacteria) that are really important to digestion. Only raw, fermented cabbage has these properties, BUT other cabbage dishes have their own good things about them. Most vinegars are fine to use too– with the exception of malt vinegar because its made from barley, which is a gluten-containing grain. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

5. dana January 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM #

I LOVE MY COFFEE LIKE THAT!! Everyone thinks I am crazy for drinking butter and coconut oil in my coffee, glad to see someone else enjoys it as much as I do! I feel so great after drinking it, and I honestly feel the healthiest I have ever felt.
    #staybulletproof

6. grassfedgirl February 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM #

Tell us the deets on the bread!

7. Lauren at Empowered Sustenance February 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM #

I just think this is the awesomest post! I read it a while ago and started putting grassfed butter into my morning tea (I also add sea salt and trace minerals). I would have never thought of putting butter in a beverage! So weird but so yummy! An easy way to get all those fat soluble vitamins.

• Allison February 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM #

Yay! Butter in coffee is the best, isn’t it? I’m so glad you like the post, Lauren!

8. crystal May 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM #

do you have any good sauerkraut recipes or something that its good to mix in, i wanna try it but dont know if id like eating it by itself, i think i might have better luck mixing it in something…. do you think the cod liver oil is helpful for skin blemishes,acne and hair?

1. try this | little dutch wife - February 19, 2013

[…] “bulletproof coffee” through some paleo practitioners on Instagram, and then again on a health-conscious blog or two. What a strange idea! Coffee, mixed with coconut oil and — stranger still — […]

2. try this | Little Dutch Wife - January 2, 2014