I’m very against taking cold medicine.
It’s my firm belief that mucus is there for a reason.
Yesterday I woke up with a tickle in my throat and a scratchy soft palate– telltale signs I’m coming down with something.
Instead of reaching for the DayQuil, I try to reach for more natural remedies.
So what do I do when I feel like I’m getting a cold?
1. Kick myself a little for not sleeping/taking my FLCO/Drinking enough water. Luckily, I don’t get sick very often so when I do start to feel that tickle in my throat, I know exactly why. I’m pretty sure that this time my cold crept up because I’ve been staying up too late watching The Vampire Diaries on Netflix…
2. Make sure to take my supplements. Namelyfermented cod liver oil— vitamin D is really important to immune system function. Taking some vitamin C and Zinc also help me feel like I’m being proactive with the cold. In the summer, I also make it a point to soak in some sun to make sure I’m getting enough vitamin D.
3. Load up on bacteria. By this I mean, I up my probiotic intake. To ensure that your intestinal mechanics are ticking the right way, it is crucial that the bacteria count be optimum. Signs like bloating, & feeling nauseous indicate a deficiency in the intestinal bacteria populace. Hence, to get the bacteria count back to normal, often times, probiotic supplements Asymprove are used, which help retain the balance. I’ve also found the drinking Inner Eco coconut water kefir really works for me. I also drink a little more homemade kombucha when I’m feeling like my immune system could use a boost.
4. Stay hydrated. With water and lots of homemade bone broth.
5. Attempt to nap. I have a really hard time napping during the day. Believe me when I say that I wish I was a napper. I love sleeping. Even though I don’t usually sleep during the day, I still set aside some down time (during which I could nap).
6. Stay positive. I always repeat affirmations when I start to feel sick. Things like “I am in perfect health” or “I radiate good health.” You’d be surprised how big a role your mind and your outlook play in your immune system.
What do you do when you feel a little cold coming on? Feel free to share in the comments below.
(For some awesome home remedies from around the internet, check out my “Reverting to Natural: Remedies” Pinterest Board.)