Do You Smoothie?

IMG_0443

I find that there’s a lot of controversy over things like smoothies and shakes in the health world.

You have one camp promoting green smoothies as a health panacea.

The other camp telling you that smoothies and shakes are just liquid calories.

So who’s right?

Will drinking smoothies clear your skin?

Or will drinking smoothies make you fat?

To me, the smoothie debacle is just one example of  all of the conflicting health advise out there.

So…who’s right?

Both.

Or neither.

It’s not really a question of who’s right.

It’s a question of what’s right.

For you.

What’s right for you.

Bioindividuality, people.

There is no one way of eating what works for everyone. You have to experiment and find what truly works for you.

It ultimately doesn’t matter if so and so tells you smoothies are good for you.

So and so doesn’t know you.

Only YOU know you.

It doesn’t matter what anyone else says.

Only YOU know you.

If you like smoothies and they make you feel good, then drink them.

Just make sure you make them with delicious whole food ingredients like coconut milk, almond butter and spinach and not with chemical shake mixes and other weird stuff.

Personally, I like me a good smoothie every now and then. Especially in the summer time.

Here are a few of my favorite recipes:

Bluesberry Smoothie

IMG_3378_1

Monster Smoothie IAJ

IMG_2582_1

Blueberry Coconut Smoothie

Blueberry Winter Smoothie… Can you tell I like blueberries? IMG_2625_1

And the Blackberry Nectarine Smoothie.

Do you smoothie? Why or why not? Feel free to share in the comments below.

6 Responses to Do You Smoothie?

1. smileysummer April 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM #

I absolutely love smoothies..I do a green smoothie at least once per day as my snack..I never use a smoothie to replace a whole food meal that you can chew!!! I also use my Ninja so I don’t waste any part of the fruit, skin and all, so my smoothie is a little bit bumpier to drink..all the fruit and veggies I use are organic..My favorite drink is the spinach blueberry cucumber drink. Yummy…Thank you for sharing all your great post and wonderful advice..I greatly appreciate you..

• Allison April 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM #

That’s great, Theresa! Using the whole fruit is the best. I also like the “rule of thumb” to not use a smoothie to replace a meal you can chew!

2. Lauren April 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM #

Yum! Those recipes look delicious. One thing that sometimes bugs me about blogs is the idea that a food is either great and you have to eat it everyday or terribly bad for you. That’s totally not true in real life, or practical – love your idea about bioindividuality. Smoothies work great for me, and I definitely crave them in the summer or after hard workouts. I enjoyed one for breakfast the other day with coconut milk, a raw egg yolk, blueberries, and chia seeds!

• Allison April 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM #

Thanks, Lauren! I have that same issue with certain blogs telling me that foods are terribly bad for me…how do they know what’s right for me? I’ve never put raw eggs in a smoothie before! Do you use eggs from pasture-raised hens? Or just regular old eggs?

• Lauren April 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM #

Pasture-raised from a farmer’s market that I trust! Definitely wouldn’t use regular eggs from the store.

3. einalemog May 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM #

Yes! My husband & I make fruit/veggie (not necessarily just “green”) smoothies every weekday morning as a way to energize before the office. We’d like to think it was part of the reason we didn’t get sick, despite the two rounds the flu did the last few months (as in, literally every one else in the office got sick at least once, except us!). We don’t do it for a specific reason(s), we just know it’s filled with good stuff, tastes good, and is easy to make!

And thanks for these recipes – I’ll be trying these out next week!