Grain-Free Granola: This Stuff is Nuts

Grain-free granola

I have a weakness for granola.

If there’s homemade granola within eyeshot, my little fist is probably already in it.

I used to make mine with gluten-free oats–hey, a little oat now and then won’t kill me. (No, really–I’ve tested it and I’m not super sensitive to oats…so I eat them from time to time).

I tried making some grain-free ‘nola, but it was a disaster…and it didn’t fill the void like M’s Oatty Granola.

Then I saw this post by Liz at Eat the Cookie.

I started salivating and immediately scribbling my shopping list  on a Post-It note.

This recipe comes to you (with a few minor substitutions) from the Paleo Parents.

After tasting this stuff, I’m definitely going to buy their book, Eat Like a Dinosaur, despite the fact that I don’t have any human children…I like eating like a dinosaur too.

(that little black blur is my non-human aka fur child, Chester, making sure everything is up to snuff.)

Grain-Free Granola (adapted from Paleo Parents)

1 1/2 cups sliced almonds

1 1/2 cups coconut flakes

1 cup pecans

1 cup hazelnuts

1 cup dried cherries

1/2 cup fresh medjool dates

1/2 cup coconut oil, melted

1/3 cup maple syrup

2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 275 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In the food processor, grind the pecans and hazelnuts into a fine meal.
  3. Coarsely chop your coconut flakes and dates and add to a large bowl along with the pecan/hazelnut meal, dried cherries and sliced almonds.
  4. In a small bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, cinnamon and maple syrup–whisk until well mixed.
  5. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir until everything is coated. Spread onto the baking sheet in a single layer.
  6. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes so that it doesn’t catch on fire…I mean, burn.
  7. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy with your favorite white milk-like liquid.

I’m never, ever going back to oatty granola. This stuff is the bomb. The sliced almonds even look like oats…

I ate my first bowl over some whole milk kefir (I’m testing the addition of some probiotic intense dairy into my routine. For more info on the benefits of kefir, read this: Chris Kresser on Kefir: The Not-Quite-Paleo Superfood)

I ate my second bowl…well, honestly it was a handful…with some fresh berries, and I even sprinkled some on my waffles. This. Stuff. Is. Nuts. Literally.

Grain-Free Granola: This Stuff is Nuts

Author:
Ingredients
  • 1½ cups sliced almonds
  • 1½ cups coconut flakes
  • 1 cup pecans
  • 1 cup hazelnuts
  • 1 cup dried cherries
  • ½ cup fresh medjool dates
  • ½ cup coconut oil, melted
  • ⅓ cup maple syrup
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
Instructions
  2. In the food processor, grind the pecans and hazelnuts into a fine meal.
  4. In a small bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, cinnamon and maple syrup--whisk until well mixed.
  6. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes so that it doesn't catch on fire...I mean, burn.
  7. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy with your favorite white milk-like liquid.

Have you ever made grain-free granola? Are you a granola crazy (wo)man like me?

, , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Grain-Free Granola: This Stuff is Nuts

1. bayley March 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM #

This looks magical. Unfortunately, literally every single ingredient is unavailable in China. Every single one! Could you please post a version of the recipe with a substitution for every ingredient? Thanks. In the meantime, I’ll be having cardboard oats with granola dreams.

• Allison March 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM #

You just got my mind churning…the little wheels are burning…

• Kate March 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM #

I’m so excited to make a batch this weekend. Will you settle for a “bite” over Skype, B?

2. Bailey March 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM #

The day you posted this on fb I went to the store and made it. Oh my it is so good!!!!!! Plan on making more this weekend!

• Allison March 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM #

I made this on Saturday…and it’s almost gone…that’s how good it is! Definitely making more this weekend…I’m thinking it’ll be great to give as a gift too…

3. liz March 22, 2012 at 7:15 AM #

hooray for grain-free granola! welcome to my heaven!
    i have been chowing this stuff for quick breakfasts, with the addition of a hard-boiled egg, and it is already almost time for a new batch! i’m so glad you tried this recipe and liked it.
    paleo parents are on top of it. you gotta get the book!

• Allison March 22, 2012 at 8:30 AM #

Hi Liz! Thanks so much for posting this recipe! This stuff is soo darn good! I dream about it at night… The paleo parents’ book is on the way. I can’t wait to try other recipes. Thanks for the great review of the book!

4. Christine March 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM #

That looks AMAZING! I made my own version last month due to an overabundance of unsweetened shredded coconut. Mine looks more like a cereal, but yours looks like Real Granola! I call it crack granola because it is SO. GOOD. I don’t put any dried fruit in mine (all nuts/coconut/cinnamon) but I like to enjoy it with some fresh berries. When it’s in my kitchen, it’s all I want to eat! Thanks for the new variation!

• Allison March 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM #

You’re welcome, Christine! I also love fresh berries in my granola…I can’t wait to make this over the summer when blueberries are actually in season! I have the same problem with this nutty goodness: if I know its in my kitchen, I crave it like crazy!

5. Kerry lawrence December 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM #

Alison! I am so excited to read your site and see what an awesome collection of yumtastic recipes you have here…can’t wait to try this granola on top of some half and half 24 hr cultured yogurt! I have been eating paleo-ish for the past 3 mos and it has really helped me in so many ways! Glad to see you have found it helpful, too, and thanks for such an inspiring site! When i saw your recipe for apple cider donuts? Nichol would of course! All the best, Kerry

6. Jimmy March 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM #

This is now my favorite food of all time! Paleo or not paleo it beats all!! I love that it can be eaten plain, as a cereal, or even made into granola bars (if you mix in an egg or two and bake with that). It’s amazing!! Thank you!

• Allison April 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM #

You’re welcome, Jimmy! I’m so glad you like it! GREAT idea to make it into bars…might have to try that this week 🙂

7. Jessica July 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM #

I’d love to make this for an upcoming, very long plane trip. How long do you think it will keep? Would you store it in the fridge if not traveling? Thanks!

• Allison July 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM #

I think it will be okay on a long plane trip– I mailed some to my friend in China and she got it like a week later and it still tasted great. I would just keep it in an air-tight container.

8. Julie November 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM #

Wow, this stuff is so good! I could snack on it all day!

1. 40 Delicious Paleo Cereal Recipes - September 20, 2015