{Pumpkin Crazy} Coconut Flour Pumpkin Spice Donuts

pumpkindonuts

Guess what! I have another pumpkin recipe for you….

Pumpkin Spice Donuts

1/2 cup coconut flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice

1/2 cup light coconut milk

1/3 cup pumpkin

2 Tbsp coconut oil

3 Tbsp maple syrup

2 eggs

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a mini donut pan with coconut oil.
  2. In a small bowl, combine coconut flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
  3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the coconut milk, pumpkin, coconut oil, maple syrup and eggs.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. If the batter seems a little dry, add another tablespoon of coconut milk.
  5. Smush the batter into the donut pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
  6. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
  7. Then try not to eat all of them at once…they’re so cute they’re hard to resist…

These little guys came out WAAAAY better than I expected.

They were perfectly pumpkin-y,

and dense like real, live donuts.

I’m a fan of plain-ish donuts. Apple cider and the original Dunkin’ Donut are my favs, so these little guys were just great for me.

You could spice them up by dipping them in a little cinnamon and palm sugar like this recipe from Paleo Spirit.

Or you could even top them with a little pumpkin pie frosting from the Civilized Caveman.

Pumpkin Spice Donuts

Author:
Recipe type: Sweet Treat
Ingredients
  • ½ cup coconut flour
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
  • ½ cup light coconut milk
  • ⅓ cup pumpkin
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 3 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 eggs
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a mini donut pan with coconut oil.
  5. Smush the batter into the donut pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
  6. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
  7. Then try not to eat all of them at once...they're so cute they're hard to resist...

, , , , , ,

23 Responses to {Pumpkin Crazy} Coconut Flour Pumpkin Spice Donuts

1. Alicia K September 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM #

Allison,

Did you use coconut milk from the can or carton?
    Or can you use either? Thanks! These look too good!

• Allison September 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM #

I used light coconut milk from a can– it’s “light” because it’s watered down. Most of the donut recipes I found had cow’s milk in them and I was trying to replicate it…You could probably use the So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage (unsweetened) or regular coconut milk too.

Let me know how they turn out!

2. Buttoni September 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM #

These look very good, Allison! I love all things pumpkin and will be trying them when I’m having sweets again. I’m currently doing a Paleo Whole30 and avoiding all baked goods.

• Allison September 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM #

Thanks! It’s SO great that you’re doing a Whole30! Hope everything is going well.

3. Debbie B. September 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM #

Do you think i can make these in my mini donut maker? I made the apple cider donuts from Paleo spirit two weeks ago and they were AMAZING! Let me know what you think….:). Back to making more pumpkin chocolate chip cookies….

4. Sam November 3, 2012 at 4:53 PM #

There were not enough dry ingredients in this recipe, the whole thing came out very heavy/wet. 1/2 cup of flour is not enough of a dry ingredient to keep the mixture from turning into a cake batter consistency. Any suggestions? Recipe sounded so good.

• Allison November 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM #

Hi Sam! Did you use coconut flour or regular flour? This recipe is designed for coconut flour, which is very high in fiber and sucks up a lot of moisture. You’re right- 1/2 cup of regular flour wouldn’t be enough. Let me know if you have any questions!

5. Sammi L November 9, 2012 at 1:50 PM #

Allison, would sifting the flour a couple of times make them more fluffy? I have been trying many new coconut flour recipes and the consistency is still a little dense for my liking. I am new to these types of flours my husband and I are going starch free. I am going to make them anyway in a bit but just was thinking the sifting may help lighten them up. What do you think?

• Allison November 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM #

Hi Sammi! Yes, I do think sifting the coconut flour would lighten these up and make them a bit more fluffy. I would sift my coconut flour too…but my dog ate my flour sifter and I’ve been too lazy/forgetful to get a new one!

6. Laura February 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM #

Allison, so does this recipe make 7 doughnuts as pictured? What size pan, 6 count or 12 count? What level did you smush batter into donut pan, 1/2?, 2/3rds? And, is it ok to use unfiltered raw honey in place of the maple syrup? Thanks!

• Allison February 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM #

Hi Laura, this recipe makes 12 mini donuts. You can definitely replace the maple syrup with raw honey. I actually fill the donut pan all the way– the donuts don’t really change shape or rise like “regular” donuts do. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

7. Lisa Dakhlallah March 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM #

Hey Allison! I don’t have a mini-donut pan. Would this recipe work in a regular sized donut pan?

• Allison March 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM #

Hi Lisa! Yes, a regular-sized pan would work– I would double the recipe for a regular-sized pan, and keep an eye on them while they’re baking– I’m thinking they might take a little bit longer to bake. Let me know how they turn out!

8. Kelly March 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM #

For those of us that avoid sugar what can we replace maple or honey with?

• Allison March 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM #

Hmm…well, you could try using a ripe banana in the place of the eggs and maple syrup. There’s still sugar in the banana, but it’s not the added sugar of the maple syrup…

9. DJ October 29, 2013 at 5:09 AM #

Sounds wonderful….instead of donuts, can we make cupcakes or loaf?? Not sure I want to get all the stuff needed for donuts….but love the ingredients and love your site…cheers!

• Allison October 29, 2013 at 7:56 AM #

Hi DJ! This recipe would work well in a mini muffin tin too…I’m not sure what to cooking time would be for a regular-sized muffin tin, but it would probably work there too. Let me know how it goes!

10. itsalovelovething October 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM #

I’m thrilled to see a coconut flour recipe that doesn’t call for a dozen eggs. 🙂 However, we can’t do eggs. 🙁 Do you think an egg substitute would work, since it only calls for two? I might try it in the morning.

• Allison October 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM #

Hi! You might be able to sub one banana for the two eggs. I’ve done that in the past for other recipes and it’s worked well. Let me known hoeing goes!

11. GenevieveSpencer October 31, 2013 at 9:03 AM #

This recipe works fine as is in a regular donut pan (Norpro 6-count), just make sure to cook them long enough. Mine were good at 20 min, but I might try a couple more minutes next time. Absolutely delicious!

• Allison October 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM #

Awesome, Genevieve! I’m glad it works in a regular-sized pan too! Thanks for the feedback.

1. Weekly Real Food Meal Plan 11/4 | Real Food Outlaws - November 4, 2013

[…] Paleo Pumpkin Donuts […]

2. September Highlights - 2015 - Frugal & Focused - October 5, 2015

[…] Paleo Pumpkin Spice Donuts at Frisky Lemon. I’ve made these twice this month and love them. I added a homemade maple cream cheese glaze to go on top. So yummy! […]