Recently I’ve been inspired to eat more vegetables.
I have to admit: I’m not the best veggie eater.
There are still days when I realize at 4pm that I haven’t eaten a single vegetable.
I eat lots of nutrient dense foods like butter from grass-fed cows, raw milk cheese, grass-fed beef, and high quality eggs…so I get a good amount of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E & K.
But I sometimes struggle to get the water-soluble vitamins from vegetables.
SO. Long story short, I’ve been working on enjoyable ways to get more vegetable nutrients into my life.
Like cauliflower rice.
And collard green wraps.
I lightly steamed my collard green leaves until the steams were green and the leaves were soft.
I filled my collard leaves with roasted turkey, guacamole and salsa– all made in-house at Whole Foods Market Somerville.
To give the wraps even more flavor and some pizzazz, I made a “Cheezy” Cashew Cream sauce– a recipe that I also picked up from the Somerville Whole Foods. (I spend a lot of time there;)
The “cheeze” comes from nutritional yeast.
These are SO easy to make.
Just wrap up everything like a burrito.
A Cheezy Green Burrito.
- 2 to 4 Big collard green leaves
- ½ cup cashews, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch of sea salt
- Lightly steam your collard green leaves until the veins and stem are green and the leaves are soft.
- Move the leaves from the pot to a cutting board or other flat surface and crush the stem-- this makes them easier to wrap.
- Lay your innards on the leaves (the turkey, guac and salsa OR whatever you want to wrap).
- Wrap 'em up.
- Once your cashews have soaked for about 20 minutes, place them, water and all, into a blender or food processor along with the nutritional yeast, sea salt, red pepper flakes and garlic.
- Blend or process until smooth.
- Serve your wraps with the cheezy cashew cream on the side for dipping.
- Dip and enjoy!