Yeah. I know “rhubarbars” is a weird word.
But it’s really hard to say “rhubarb bars,” so I just took out one of the “b’s.”
Strawberries and rhubarb are one crazy-good combination. The perfect combination for summer, in my opinion.
Grain-free strawberry rhubarb bars with a crumb topping
Author: Allison | Frisky Lemon
Recipe type: Sweet Treat
- 1¾ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup rhubarb, chopped
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup pecans, chopped'
- 2 Tbsp almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp butter (cold)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the crust ingredients. Line a 8x8 plan with parchment paper and press the dough evenly into the pan. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes while you make the filling and the topping.
- in another large bowl mx the ingredients for the filling and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cold butter along with the other topping ingredients. Using two knives (or a pastry blender) cut the cold butter into the rest of the ingredients until crumbly and well combined.
- Pour the filling into the crust and sprinkle the topping evenly over the top. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, uncover the pan and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the topping is browned.
- Cool on a wire rack and then enjoy!
These are pretty good. Just like grandma used to make.
Well, not my grandma, but yours maybe?
What’s your favorite summer food combination? Tell me in the comments below.